How it works at my house (was: Engineering specs: The way it spo zed to be?

Subject: How it works at my house (was: Engineering specs: The way it spo zed to be?
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:56:20 -0400

Steven Jong [mailto:stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net] noted:

> Joe, you suggestions are fully in line with my experience. I'm
> interested in why the VP of engineering says he doesn't expect--or
> want--his engineers updating documents "every time they make a
> change;"

Funny you should mention that...
At our place, practice was to create a PRD (product requirements
document) that included sections for each feature (including
an omnibus section that would say something like "all
functionality of previous product XYZ").

Each such section would describe the feature in general
terms, then break it out into "requirements" that were
needed in the hardware and software to make the feature
happen.

That was called the "Engineering Response", along with
any concerns about staff, tool, and material resources.

The whole entire document might have a handful of
mandated "feature" sections, comprising hundreds of
"requirements". That's what got signed off, and maybe
updated once or twice before product release... or
more likely some time after product release, but
we won't go there.

Anyway, a new development group manager added a
section of "Issues" (since we currently use
Rational's Clear Quest problem tracker, and it
refers to problems as Issues). He then attempted
to keep the list of issues-related-to-this-project
up-to-date. That wasn't too bad, when each Requirement
was an issue, and they mapped nicely.

But soon, it became apparent that:

a) engineers discover all sorts of interactions
and problems as they go along just trying to
make the requirements i)happen and ii) co-exist

b) engineering testers find all sorts of their
own problems, some to do with the current attempt
at implementation (of all those features and
requirements), and some the result of the old
and new versions of the product being integrated
with third-party apps we never encountered before,
or used in frightening new ways by customers we
never had before...

We do have a rule that developers and coders
do not work on anything unless that thing is
an Issue in ClearQuest. In practice, an Issue
can come from a customer requirement, a
Marketing/Project requirement, a Customer
Support trouble ticket, a QA or Engineering
Test discovered problem, or a problem or
bright idea of the developers themselves.
Any number of people can enter/create those
things, but only the developer manager can
assign them - which is how we gate the Issues
and

a) keep busybodies from piling work onto developers
b) keep developers from going off into dreamland
tangents and orgies of "wouldn't that be neat!"

So, either they work on stuff that others
have raised, or they work on stuff that they
have raised themselves, but only after it has
been gated and approved.

Still, this meant that all _kinds_ of new Issues
would be generated, opened, closed, deferred, etc.,
that didn't map directly to formal features and
requirements.

Now, that isn't, in itself a problem - that's what
an Issue-tracking system is for, after all - but
the fact that the new manager was trying to
keep that ever-expanding and convoluting list
(which keeps expanding and convoluting even after
so-called code-freeze) as part of the Product
Requirements Document... _that_ was driving him nuts.
And the rest of us, too, as we'd repeatedly get
asked to review-and-approve the next version of
the PRD.

So, the long and the short of it is:

- you track your wishes and intentions in a
requirements or design doc

- you track what you actually discover, and
actually do, in the Issue tracking system

- don't try to combine those two functions
unless you are made of time and patience.

When the dust begins to settle, QA must use
the requirements doc and the list of closed
and deferred Issues to determine what-and-how
they are going to test.

So, all that to say that your developers and
engineers should be recording what they do
in some kind of problem/Issue/trouble-ticket
tracking system, because they really shouldn't
be making any changes that they don't document
somewhere. And the trouble-ticket/Issue system
has the big advantage of being public and
standardized - developers that like to "document
3000 lines of code with a 3-word comment are
forced to put something sensible in the Issue
tracking system.
Needless to say, you-the-writer should have
access to that system. In fact, you should
have your own section of it for:

a) issues with the Customer documentation itself,
which you would fix, then record where/how you
fixed

b) issues that can't be fixed (or won't be) and
therefore must have explanations/alerts/workarounds
documented in the Customer docs

c) issues that are fixed by developers, resulting
in changes to the way the product works, that
should be mentioned in the docs.

In my case, I follow that scheme, but I avoid some of
the constraints on developers in that I can make
my own self-generated changes to my docs (little
improvements and niceties) that I don't record
as Issues in the tracking system. After all,
my documents kinda document themselves.

Others' situations probably differ.

So, it's sneaking up on the end of Friday afternoon,
and I have a nice, leisurely nine-mile walk home,
mostly along bike trails and alongside the Experimental
Farm.
Maybe something interesting or lovely will unfold
along the way, slowly enough that I can get my
camera out of the backpack before it's all over.
Maybe Bambi and his Mom will meet me at the fence
again, and not bound away while I'm fishing for
the camera. :-)

I could whip out the camera-phone much faster
than the "real" camera, but fixed-focus 2 Megapixel
just doesn't cut it, most of the time, does it.

Kevin