STC Seminars?

Subject: STC Seminars?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Suzette Leeming <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:16:26 -0400

Suzette Leeming wondered: <<I'm interested in getting some feedback from techwriters who have participated in STC telephone seminars. Can you give me an idea of how they work (i.e., is it just talking over the phone, or is there an online presentation happening simultaneously?).>>

I've participated in a couple seminars, but both were "voice only"; I'm told that more recent ones are often "webinars", complete with simultaneous visuals. The quality was variable, and (as is usual for such things) depends both on the quality of the speaker and how well the details of the topic match your specific needs. STC does try to recruit people who have had good or excellent speaker ratings at past annual conferences, so the quality tends to be at the higher end.

<<I'm also curious as to the value (perceived/real).>>

That depends largely on you. <g> But it's worth noting two things: First, you do get to ask the speaker questions, and the answers to specific questions are often more valuable than the more general information that any presentation inevitably contains. Second, the price to participate is "per location". That means if you participate alone in your home office, you're paying the full price, and that may not be a great value. But if you get together with 100 colleagues in an auditorium, the cost becomes only a buck or two per person, and even if the presentation is nothing special, that's a great value. The more people that share the cost, the better the bargain.

Talk to your local STC chapter to ask if anyone is interested in sharing a presentation with you. It can be a real bargain if the logistics work out.

www.geoff-hart.com