Re: Too old?

Subject: Re: Too old?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:18:16 -0400

David Farbey wrote:

When sex discrimination and race discrimination laws were first
introduced in the UK, people were just as dismissive as you are.
But now there have been plenty of successful actions on these
grounds, it does make many employers take extra care not to
discriminate. I hope that in the course of time the new age
discrimination laws will have the same effect.

I agree that over time there may be changes. My comment was it is
virtually impossible to charge age discrimination for not getting a
job in the first place. I'm not being dismissive. I'm being
realistic. You can't force a company to hire you even if you are the
most qualified. Unless you have access to the hiring decision team's
comments and inner thoughts, you would never be able to charge age
discrimination for not getting a position and win. There are just to
many reasons for not hiring.

That may eventually mean that us mature writers won't be unfairly
excluded from competing for jobs at, for example, software
start-ups, because some manager happens to think we won't fit in
with the "youthful culture" of their development teams. Heck, they
may even start hiring developers who need to shave every day!

Face it, if you're 30 years older than the founders of a company, you
won't fit in. Even if I let my pony tail grow back, pretend to like
their music, and wear my oversized straight-legged jeans down around
my hips showing off my plaid boxers, I still wouldn't be able to
relate to my co-workers. However, lucky for us not all start-ups are
founded by 20-somethings who view us old geezers as grand parents.
Al

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design,

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: [1]al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com

See also:
note cards for all occasions)
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know
whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt