Re: Too old?

Subject: Re: Too old?
From: Sean Wheller <sean -at- inwords -dot- co -dot- za>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 09:52:16 +0200

On Tuesday 26 September 2006 03:15, Siliconwriter wrote:
> > Nah, it's all in the mind. If you can demonstrate the skills,
> > maturity and
> > have clue, then age is not a problem.
>
> The question was about GETTING the job, not DOING the job. Job
> interviews are not a good place to demonstrate these advantages, and
> unless you actually get hired, the employer will not know that you
> "have clue". So they presume that you don't, based solely on how old
> you appear to be (or actually are).
>
> No, they don't tell you you're being passed over because of your age,
> because that's illegal. But when you have been contacted about a
> resume, interviewed twice on the phone by several hiring managers,
> and then lose the job the minute you show up for a face-to-face, you
> know it's ageism, racism, or sexism, but it has nothing to do with
> your skills. Especially if it happens over and over again.

Well then, why not do some screening of your own. How's about putting your
date of birth sex and race in your cv. If they have any problems based on
that info then they will not call you and you will have saved yourself the
bother. I know, I know, you going to say that you do not have to provide such
information. But you can if you so will it.

As somebody else said earlier. They would rather not work for an organization
that practices descrimination of any type. I agree.

Sorry, if I sound a bit harsh on this, but I live in South Africa, am a white
male, hetro-sexual, without disability and near to 40. Everyday I face a
local job market where previously disadantage groups get a head start on any
job application I make just because of race and sex. If I were black, indian,
colored, female, gay, disabled, at any age, I would be snapped up in a
second. So trust me when I say that I know how it feels.

Furthermore, I returned to live in South Africa from my own free will, 3 years
ago, in full knowledge that this is the situation. So what options do I have.

1. I can lay down and cry about it, thinking myself into a mental state of
defeat.

2. I can just ignore it and get on with life. Accept the cheese has moved.

3. I can change my own reality. Think positive and go get it, push harder,
faster and better than anyone else.

When I focus on a work opportunity, my intent is 100%, THAT JOB IS MINE.
Sun Tzu teaches that the most committed wins.

Once I changed my mental attitude toward these matters by realizing that I
created my own reality, I was wonderfully surprised. All the discriminatory
barriers we are talking about disappeared. I was more positive about work and
this energy must have had an impact of people interviewing, for now I have
found the world to a place of infinite possabilities. So many that I must
actually say no to many.

As with anything competative, you must be equally prepared to lose if you are
to win.

Hope this helps,

--
Ask me about the Monkey.