Re: how to make a gigantic doc set easily searchable?

Subject: Re: how to make a gigantic doc set easily searchable?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 07:16:30 -0400

Pro TechWriter wrote:

If there is a search utility that will work with PDFs as well as HTML, I'd
like to know about it too. It will be a while until I can covert the PDFs
into HTML, and in the meantime, Webhelp does not search inside the PDFs (as
far as I can tell, anyway).

ZOOM by Wrensoft searches PDF files, but I believe the files have to have been created by Acrobat 6 or later. To search PDF files (and Flash files) you have to download a free plug-in and it requires the Standard or Professional version, not the free Basis version; however, it's pretty inexpensive. We used it at my last company for everything from our website to marketing CDs.
http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/index.html

Al
--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt