Re: FWD: Hiring Discrimination

Subject: Re: FWD: Hiring Discrimination
From: Jim Barrow <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 12:38:35 -0500 (CDT)

>Bill Swallow wrote:
>>John Posada said:

>>Actualy, I don't see that as discrimination. What has she done >>wrong? She has a preference. She can prefer anyhthing she wants. >>She can even proactively recruit what she prefers. However, as >>long as she treats all resumes eqaualy when they are infront of >>her, she's done nothing wrong.

>Your reasoning sounds logical but in fact it is wrong. The manager >who said that, and the company they work for, could be sued for >such a statement, as it violates sex discrimination laws.

Sorry, Bill, you are in fact incorrect.

The company in question is privately owned. They can do just about anything they want.

If you read the original post, the hiring manager stated that 'she was more interested in resumes from male applicants and/or older women'.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that statement. Developers are being sought at my current employer. We've gone through a lot of them lately. Our hiring manager recently made the statement that he would look more closely at applicants who *didn't* come in from out of state. Apparently those applicants couldn't get past the learning curve quickly enough. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

The hiring manager in the post stated that [younger] women ended up
pregnant and on maternity leave for a year. This is not discrimination. The hiring manager can accept all the applications she wants. If one of those applications is from a young married woman who, during the interview, happens to mention that she is actively trying to get pregnant, the hiring manager can simply pass on that applicant once the interview is completed. No laws broken.

As a matter of fact, the hiring manager could even ask the applicant if she thought that starting a family would interfere with the completion of the tasks involved with the position.

Too many people want to jump on the soapbox and scream foul these days. If this same hiring manager had made a statement such as: "I'm more interested in female applicants because the last 10 male applicants kept leaving early to watch Monday night football", then so be it.