Re: Senior technical writer?

Subject: Re: Senior technical writer?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:25:37 -0400

Jessica Weissman wrote:

I don't understand why formal education in TW should be a requirement,
though it might help. A writer who produces good work without the
formal education is extra-qualified, I think. We are constantly faced
with developing content without enough access to the sources; someone
who has technical writing skills without the formal education has
demonstrated this skill.

I agree with Jessica. I was elevated to Senior TW long before I completed my BA. I brought over 10 years of technical/engineering experience with me in addition to several years of mentoring by some highly experienced writers at previous employments. I've worked with several writers who had formal education in TW, one was pretty good, most were mediocre. The problem was they were taught the tools and basic concepts of TW, something that can be found in a number of books, but they didn't have the background to understand what they were writing about. The result was flowing text bogged down by inaccurate content.

AL

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt