Re: Getting Per Diem (was Per Diem Question)

Subject: Re: Getting Per Diem (was Per Diem Question)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 13:15:59 -0700

In many instances where I have posted an opening for which we will accept resumes from recruiters, a few days after posting it a
series of ads from multiple recruiters have appeared, many of them
containing cut-and-paste descriptions of the company ("leading
provider of <insert product jargon here>"). If you google the
product jargon, there's a good chance you will end up on the
website of the company looking at the exact same text. If you then call the company's main line and ask for the technical publications manager, there's a halfway decent chance you'll get transferred over by someone who just looked up the job title in the company phone directory.

As a publications manager, I would personally be impressed by
someone who called and told me they were able to research my
company from a recruiter's ad copy. Just don't tell me *which*
recruiter it was, so I don't have to worry about whether we're
going to end up owing somebody money for "bringing us together."

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dick Margulis" <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>

Some agencies are better to deal with than others. Pretty much, if your antennae are quivering, you should walk quickly the other direction. One thing to keep an eye out for is multiple listings for the same job from different agencies. No, six spots did not just open up for a tech writer with between 2.5 and 2.75 years of experience in the same obscure cul-de-sac of technology. Those are just six hyenas circling the same piece of meat. If you can deduce what company actually has the opening, contact their HR department. Tell them you'll be happy to apply for the position directly or work through an agency--their call--but you'd like to know who the lead agency is, so you don't have to deal with the hyenas (except don't call them that, of course). Otherwise, by trial and error you will eventually figure out which agencies you never want to speak with again.