Re: Hot new trends in tech writing?

Subject: Re: Hot new trends in tech writing?
From: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Rebecca Stevenson" <rjstevenson -at- sprynet -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 10:02:50 -0400

Well, on the SDK side of things, Ndoc is dead and Microsoft is
offering up a clone if their internal SDK documentation tool that they
are calling Sandcastle. I'll be looking into using it soon, though
right now we're still using Ndoc as we're not compiling under the
Framework 2.0 yet.

I believe Flare v.2 was just announced as available. I haven't looked
at the laundry list of features, but I do know it boasts FrameMaker
support now. I'll be looking into that soon as well.

RoboHelp is reportedly back in development over at Adobe though there
are reports of issues with getting support for existing X5 licenses. I
haven't heard more than the complaints.

Quadralay has a "new" model of using WWeP Pro as an admin tool and
WWeP Express as a client tool, and Automap for conversion management.
It's more of an XML solution than the previous model which relied on
Word or FM files as source files.

That's about all I can recall off the cuff. I'm sure there are other
changes that have happened within the past year.

On 10/3/06, Rebecca Stevenson <rjstevenson -at- sprynet -dot- com> wrote:

It seems like this past year or so has been curiously devoid of chatter about technology and tactics that will soon Change Tech Writing As We Know It. Am I just not paying enough attention, or is the technological marketplace undergoing a quiet spell? What's the most exciting thing in your tech writing world today? Vista? XML (again, or still)? Flare?

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter