Weird words

Subject: Weird words
From: "Yvette, Denoga" <Yvettedenoga -at- crimsonlogic -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 11:12:43 +0800

Hi,

I've been reading the posts here for some time and I just wanted to
share something I noticed when I spend too many long hours editing. It's
amazing how people can actually invent words or meanings of words, and
use them in their day-to-day stuff. I've encountered some words that
have been so ingrained in their vocabulary that it seems almost futile
to correct, as far as I am concerned. But of course, since you know it's
wrong, well, it can sometimes be downright irritating.

Here's a couple of words I've encountered way too often in other emails
or old documentation:

(1) Updation - What the??? Other than the fact that there is no such
word in any dictionary, I was suprised at how many people really use
this word in formal documents and correspondences. Maybe they think it's
like "deletion". Uh, no it isn't!

(2) Revert - This is my all-time favorite. Some people say things like,
"For any issues, please revert to me". I looked it up on m-w.com and
revert is (a) to come or go back (as to a FORMER condition, period, or
subject) (b) to return to the proprietor or his or her heirs at the end
of a reversion. It is not 'answer', 'reply' or even 'follow up'. Revert
means going back to an original condition, so replying is not going back
to the original condition. Some even dare to shorten it to "vert" ("can
you 'vert that please?"). Huh??

So what weird words have you come across?

yvette :)

(...who is so relieved she can talk about things like these here...)