Re: Hardware Requirements for a New Job

Subject: Re: Hardware Requirements for a New Job
From: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Siliconwriter <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 10:05:34 -0400

I'll not only reinforce Gene on this, I'll double reinforce this. IT
guys know bupkes about technical writing, and tend to give out
absolutely minimalist hardware to tech writers. Be polite but firm
and explain why you need a high performance engine. I frequently have
the following open simultaneously:

Well, I find it difficult to believe that this is solely IT's fault.
They set up and maintain that which is specified by those who manage
the groups. If you aren't getting the right equipment, then the
requirement for your equipment is not being communicated.

My writing team gets the same machines as the developers. We need it,
all of engineering knows it, and we thus specify that need in the
equipment requisition process.

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter