can xul replace chm?

Subject: can xul replace chm?
From: e-letter <inpost -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 20:12:06 +0100

I am continuing to look for an alternative to chm files.

My objective is to be able to write help documentation, distributed
via cd rom. I want a user to view the documentation by activating a
single file. All html files and images would be stored in a folder
with no read/write permissions. Thus the cd would look as follows in a
file manager:

.../cdrom/help.xul
.../cdrom/helphtmlcontentfolder/

I encountered xul when I first bothered to access the help viewer for
mozilla firefox. I really like to the look of firefox's help viewer
and I'm now wondering how this technology could be used to for third
party help documentation.

Background information may be read at the following hyperlink:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/help-viewer/.

From what I understand, XUL is used to view help documentation, via
mozilla based web browsers. Whether other browers such as m$ie or
safari would work I don't know as yet.

My question to more experienced technical authors than myself,is it a
viable option to use xul technology for a cross-platform, open source
help viewer?

Yours,

RenÃ.