Re: YATQ - Yet Another Tool Question... InDesign?

Subject: Re: YATQ - Yet Another Tool Question... InDesign?
From: "John Cook" <john -dot- cook -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:42:46 -0500

On 10/16/06, Karen L. Zorn <k -dot- zorn -at- zorntech -dot- com> wrote:

James Serrat wrote

I need to choose ONE general purpose document tool. Most documents are small
<25 pages but are graphics intensive.

Any suggestions on these three candidates:

- InDesign (leading contender, so far)

- Quark Express

- Framemaker (XML capabilities are intriguing but have no use for that now,
probably never)

If you have need of cross references, variables, and other specials,
FrameMaker is the best option. I've used Quark and am learning InDesign.
Although they have their places, for an all around documentation tool, FM is
the best.

Karen L. Zorn
Zorn Technologies, Inc.
Mesa, AZ

Every tool has its own strengths and weaknesses. I have used both
Frame and ID in the past, and wouldn't hesistate to use either in the
future depending on the project.

I used Frame for five years, and loved it for long, text-based docs.

However, for shorter, graphics-intensive docs, I use InDesign CS2,
hands-down, no-question. I learned enough of it in two weeks to use
for our small space opera e-zine. Hit me up offline and I'll give you
the address if you'd like to see a little of what InDesign can do.

--
John Cook
Technical Writer / Help Author