Re: Chattiness in manuals

Subject: Re: Chattiness in manuals
From: "Julia Countryman" <julia -dot- countryman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 07:49:59 -0700

I'd also be tempted to throw it across the room!

I once worked with someone who started her manuals with "This document is
meant to be the be all and end all of knowledge on how to use this widget".
She continued on in the body of the manual to insert jokes, personal
comments about the widget operators, and put in silly pictures of the
operators in various gang poses, wearing their cleanroom gear. Needless to
say, not only did she get relieved of her duties, she was insane, and I had
the good fortune of taking over her assignment in addition to my own.

Julia