Re: So just do it already

Subject: Re: So just do it already
From: arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:21:09 -0400

--- "Poshedly, Ken" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com> wrote:

> So, really now. Tell us about the damn monkey!
I think my grandfather pointed this one out to me at some point. (And that's not off-topic because my grandfather was a Technical Writer--and still imagines himself one, to my dismay).

Basically, if I recall correctly, it has to do with the strategic use of a bizarre non sequitur such as "Ask me about the Monkey."

This kind of conversation-inviting statement is all over these days. You see it on hats, buttons, pins, bumper stickers, key chains, whatever. Once you have the attention of the "audience" you subject them to your soapbox philosophy and engage them in what might be a provocative or productive discussion.

This could be seen as a good lesson for technical writers in the sense that we should find a way to drag our audience in (kicking and screaming, if necessary) to get them to pay attention to what they need to know--whether they are aware of the trick or not.

My 3.14159 cents worth.

Arroxane, heading out for a few days of vacation and getting older