Re: CD file-system broken for Windows or UNIX

Subject: Re: CD file-system broken for Windows or UNIX
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com" <mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:15:31 +0530

On 10/19/06, mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com <mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:

I don't know a way to reverse-engineer a CD image to determine what options
were used in its generation. The former builds people, who worked here when
the last works-on-all OSes CD was created, are long gone.

Are you using Linux? Well, I guess it doesn't matter, since even if
you're using Cygwin on NT-class Windows, you'll probably still be able
to do this:
On my Mandriva 2006 install, I have an RPM installed which is called
"cdrecord-isotools". Among the executables this provides is:
/usr/bin/isoinfo
So I stuck in an Ubuntu Linux 6.06 CD in my drive, and ran
isoinfo -d -i /dev/hdc
(/dev/hdc is the device for my DVD drive)

The output was as follows:
CD-ROM is in ISO 9660 format
System id: LINUX
Volume id: Ubuntu 6.06 i386
Volume set id:
Publisher id:
Data preparer id:
Application id: MKISOFS ISO 9660/HFS FILESYSTEM BUILDER & CDRECORD
CD-R/DVD CREATOR (C) 1993 E.YOUNGDALE (C) 1997 J.PEARSON/J.SCHILLING
Copyright File id:
Abstract File id:
Bibliographic File id:
Volume set size is: 1
Volume set sequence number is: 1
Logical block size is: 2048
Volume size is: 357297
El Torito VD version 1 found, boot catalog is in sector 258
Joliet with UCS level 3 found
Rock Ridge signatures version 1 found
Eltorito validation header:
Hid 1
Arch 0 (x86)
ID ''
Key 55 AA
Eltorito defaultboot header:
Bootid 88 (bootable)
Boot media 0 (No Emulation Boot)
Load segment 0
Sys type 0
Nsect 4
Bootoff FB 251

A lot of not-so-useful stuff, but this output tells me:
a) Image format (ISO9660)
b) Joliet and Rock Ridge extensions were used.
c) It's a bootable CD (ElTorito info) (but I knew that already, Ubuntu
is a LiveCD).

So while this isn't exactly reverse-engineering, it might give you
some helpful information from CDs of your old builds, to compare with
your testing CDs.

HTH,
Ed.