RE: Content Management System versus Static (Dreamweaver)

Subject: RE: Content Management System versus Static (Dreamweaver)
From: "Jessica N Lange" <jlange -at- mdc-dayton -dot- com>
To: "'Tracey Austin'" <Tracey -dot- Austin -at- hnhu -dot- org>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:27:19 -0400

I've never used a CMS. However, I've used Dreamweaver since
the first version, to maintain our company intranet and
multiple websites (all related to our company or affiliates).
No website is terribly large. I've used a wee bit of
DW's dynamic capability, but really don't have a need
for it.

I've used DW to make quick minor changes, and to revamp
the entire big corporate website.

I'm a big fan of Dreamweaver, especially the ability
to flip into the codebase for html and css. I do
a fair amount of handcoding, but even if you never look
at code, DW creates very clean code, and has built-in
tools for validation.

I use Dreamweaver 8, EditPad for .css, FileZilla for ftp.
We link to .pdf's and the only time-consuming thing is
uploading to the ISP (I suspect their servers are old
and cranky).

Just my opinion
Jessica

com] On Behalf Of Tracey Austin
> Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 1:17 PM
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Content Management System versus Static (Dreamweaver)
>
> After questioning every developer I know, I decided to turn to this
> group for a more decisive answer!
>
> I'm a Technical Writer who has been charged with the task of
> creating a
> new website to house all of our factsheets, pamphlets, q&a, online
> surveys, etc.
>
> We are currently using a CMS (Joomla) for our non-for-profit company
> website (public health). We find the CMS to time consuming and not
> reliable. Our .css continually gets dumped and simply posting
> a .pdf is
> very time consuming. We are thinking about switching to
> Dreamweaver (we
> currently use Adobe CS2 and RoboHelp for all else) but have been
> cautioned against a static content site. Our site will have appx.
300
> htm files and 100 pdf. Is Dreamweaver a wise choice? (Personally,
I'd