Re: So just do it already

Subject: Re: So just do it already
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: John Cook <john -dot- cook -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:11:31 -0400

John Cook wrote:

On 10/19/06, Dori Green <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com> wrote:

Back in the day my journalism prof referred to it as "the hook", and he gave
extra points if we included a good one with our article.

Hooks are appropriate for journalism, and absolutely required for
short fiction, but have little place in technical documentation. It's
just a different style of writing, and a different audience focus.

In Journalism, the hook is used to sell your story to the City Editor as much as it is to "hook" the readers. The goal of a good journalist is to get as many stories on page one as it is to ensure accuracy in whatever they write. A good hook will convince the editor to put the story on page one as well as convince the readers to read more than the headline. More stories on page one means more money when it's employee review time. Reporters don't make a lot of money, so anything you can use to get more is to be pursued in earnest. (Been there, done that)

Short fiction, non-fiction...virtually anything that is to be sold to someone needs some form of "hook" to get those someone's interested in the work. We're talking items involving writing here-magazine articles, books, scripts, etc., not goods like cars, houses, trips to the space station.

In technical writing, the product needs the hook, not the supporting documentation. The documentation needs to help the reader (user) understand how to effectively use the product.
Al
--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt