Re: Showing sample and proprietary content

Subject: Re: Showing sample and proprietary content
From: Joe Malin <jmalin -at- jmalin -dot- com>
To: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:08:01 -0700

I am going through that as well. I did not sign an agreement
specifically for my writing, but in the computer business it's standard
to sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) that prohibits you from sharing
your knowledge with other companies. Anything marked "confidential" is
not shareable even with your friends.

In my case, I was laid off, and my managers are very sympathetic to my
situation. I chose samples that, while technically confidential, were
not likely to reveal important information. I reviewed these samples
with a senior manager and got his permission to distribute them.

Since I work in the domain of software developer/API/architecture
documentation, I am certain I'll run into this problem again. I think I
will need to get a lawyer's assistance in drafting an agreement I can
present to a future employer to cover this situation.

Fortunately, I worked at Oracle, which makes its manuals freely
available on its website. I feel free to distribute Oracle samples
(subject to copyright restrictions).

Joe