Re: Showing sample and proprietary content

Subject: Re: Showing sample and proprietary content
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:29:16 -0400

Dori Green wrote:

Al Geist wrote:

ask if you could develop samples that would satisfy their needs

***********

Be careful with this. When I was younger and stoopider, an enterprising
business owner got a beautiful last-minute white paper complete with
Powerpoint presentation and handouts from me as a "show me what you can do"
sample. And because it was just a "sample", he never sent a thank you, much
less a check for several days of work.

I totally agree that you should never develop samples that your potential customer/employer could use. My comment was in reference to the potential employers need to see samples of previous work. If you develop samples that show your understanding of their documentation needs, then that is really no different than showing samples of work from previous employers with the exception that you don't have to worry about NDAs.

I made the same mistake Dori did and found my material included in the marketing package distributed by a former potential employer, with the company president's name on it. When I confronted him personally about plagiarism, I was basically told to find a lawyer. It's very hard to prove you are the author of a piece that has never been published and even harder to pursue legal action without a lot of money. It felt really good two years later when I reported the companies Chapter 7 bankruptcy for a statewide business magazine, but I also learned a hard lesson....if you do "show them what you can do" make sure what you deliver is not usable by them.

Al
--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt