Re: Release notes and readme files

Subject: Re: Release notes and readme files
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 12:31:56 -0700

A lot depends on how your users report and learn of bugs. One
app I use a lot is from a small company whose "technical support"
is provided largely through a public usenet forum on their server.
Users report their bugs on the forum, developers respond and
everyone who reads the forum can see what bugs are being reported
and what fixes are being offered in real-time. Anytime one of us
experiences a new problem, the first thing we do is check to see
if it's been reported by anyone else and if it hasn't, post a "has
anyone seen this?" message. Whenever a service release comes
out, the company posts a full set of release notes and bugfixes
so we users can all see what's been fixed. This method would be
a disaster for a big SW co like Adobe or MS, but for this small
company and its relatively small number of users, it's a much
faster way to get answers than emailing or calling "tech support."

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Beth Agnew" <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>