Re: Release notes and readme files

Subject: Re: Release notes and readme files
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Digest <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:53:15 -0700 (PDT)

> "According to most of the development people I've worked with,
> there is no such thing as a bug. It's just an undocumented
> feature."

I've never had a developer say this without smiling afterwards. A
developer knows a bug when they see one.

Back to the question...

The difference between a Release Note and a readme is timing. A
Release Note is a fully formed and formatted book containing Known
Issues, Enhancements, and Fixes since the last release, and a readme
is a text file containing everything that was discovered but was too
late to get into any of the documentation.

Example...I'm writing four Release Notes as we speak. An example of a
TOC of one of them is (about half of the items, proprietary, are
removed from the following example):

Introduction
Enhancements
Version Numbers
Platform Support
Product and Version Compatibility

Release Notes for <Platform>
Installation/Uninstallation Issues
Licensing Issues
Issues on the Solaris Platform
Issues on the Windows Platform
Client Program Issues

Release Notes for <Product>
Enhancements
Fixed Issues
Deprecated Features
Known Issues and Limitations
Installation
Mandatory Patches

Included in both documents (RN and readme) are both operational and
installation issues.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."