Re: FWD: What to do about a recommendation?

Subject: Re: FWD: What to do about a recommendation?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Robotti, Anne \(Carlin\)" <ARobotti -at- CarlinGroup -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 07:49:16 -0700

Raising hand.

If you've never come up against a situation where you met all
your job objectives but still got a negative performance review
because those reviewing you had other "expectations" that they
somehow neglected to mention to you until the review, then
you are a fortunate person.

The OP said that the project was delivered on schedule and
that the contractor "was not told" about the issues. Maybe that
doesn't mean "never," but then again maybe it does. Some
managers really are that lazy, ineffective and, let's be frank,
cowardly.

The "safest" course is for the OP to tell the contractor that
company policy restricts replies to all questions regarding
past employment to dates of employment and job positions.

The *best* course is to grow a spine, sit down with the
contractor and provide an honest end-of-contract review.
The contractor's contributions were obviously good enough
that the OP was not moved to fire the person. The OP got as
good out of the contract as he/she was willing to put into it.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robotti, Anne (Carlin)" <ARobotti -at- CarlinGroup -dot- com>

I mean, come on. Show of hands, who out there needs a performance review
or feedback from their manager to know that they're not meeting
expectations? "Gee, the software went out last week and I still haven't
finished the manual. I wonder if that's a problem?" A good reaming at a
document review is usually all it takes to get me right on board!

I bet Anonymous doesn't mean they *never* said anything to the guy about
expectations, or deadlines, or scope of work, or negative reviews of
docs. They just never sat him down for the Big Talk.

No with no explanation is my vote, because everybody including the
contractor knows what the explanation is. (Or you could be a weenie and
go with the lukewarm recommendation. Use the word "punctual" - it's code
for "nothing good to say here, keep looking.")