RE: Portfolios and examples

Subject: RE: Portfolios and examples
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:44:20 -0400

John Posada wrote:

"I don't concern myself with that problem because I only want the
positions where they want the best they can get.?

******************

Absolutely right. I didn?t say I concerned myself with that problem, just
that in two cases they were honest enough to tell me directly that this was
why I didn?t get the job.

In fact, the discussion opened such doors with one group that I will
probably end up working and living there (a well-known conference center)
for the first part of my ?retirement? in a few years.

*******************
*******************

John also disagreed about the structure of the portfolio.

If samples lend themselves to inclusion in a 3-ring binder, by all means
this is the way to go. Many of my samples are completed bound books that
present best in their entirety, so in most cases I carry a soft-sided
briefcase.

********************
*******************

John pointed out that it?s not his job to make them feel like they are The
One, but to show them that You Are.

I think we?re approaching the same idea from slightly different directions.
They are The One with the job -- they know it, and I know it. I am The One
Of Many nibbling at the bait. For the purposes of not just landing the job,
but of starting a terrific relationship right from the start, it?s important
to select the place and culture as well as the work and paycheck. And to
let them know clearly and honestly that you really want to work with them,
this particular unique group of talented and worthwhile people.

Nothing is as attractive as individual attention (courtship, if you will).
And it certainly makes us stand out from the crowd of shotgunners who just
want a job.

If a job is all we?re looking for,

#1. ...we?re cheating ourselves and our employer.

#2. ...all we need to do is become good enough language and/or tool
technicians that we?ll be snapped up whenever available by any one of a
dozen headhunting agencies to be dropped into an anonymous cubicle for
however long a project takes. There?s a place and time for this, and some
people do very will with this approach. I?ve done it myself, sometimes very
happily. So all things are relative.

Dori Green
Technical Writer, QMS Project
Associated Brands, Inc.