Re: graying out part of a graphic

Subject: Re: graying out part of a graphic
From: "Paul Pehrson" <paulpehrson -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techielmb <techielmb -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:29:17 -0600

Interesting. I misunderstood your question. Now that I see what you were
asking, I want to point out that I think that you *may be* doing your users
a disservice when you include screen shots that don't look like how the
users' UI will actually look when they are performing the same operation.

Depending on the technical aptitude of your audience, some users might be
confused by having all other buttons in the documentation appear to be
inactive, when their buttons on their screen are active.

And, as was mentioned by somebody else, it is a time-intensive process that
you have to repeat every time an element in the UI changes.

Would it be better for your users to just show the button set they will be
working with and crop the rest of the buttons out of the picture? (That is a
real question; only you can answer this, because only you know your app and
your audience.)

Just a thought.

Best wishes,

Paul Pehrson
Midvale, UT

On 10/26/06, techielmb <techielmb -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Before my
post even made it to the list, I found something that
works well in my situation. (Isn't that the way it
goes, all you have to do is ask the experts and a
solution manifests itself. ;)

I select the part of the screen I want to show, then
invert the selection, and use Filter>Sketch>Photocopy.
The buttons on our screens have graphics, not text.
There are a lot of colors, but the background is gray,
so the white background of the Photocopy filter works
great.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

--
Paul Pehrson