Re: Recording a discovery section

Subject: Re: Recording a discovery section
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:17:47 -0400

Chris McQueen wrote:

As a note, most DV video cameras record sound very well, so well that
some of them record the hum of the tape and motors in the camera. I
haven't experienced this a lot, but it's another reason to get an
external microphone.

I have never had a DV camera record the internal tape and motors. If you are experiencing that problem, then I suggest you get the camera checked out by a reputable service center. However, with that said, I also agree that a good lavaliere microphone is an excellent addition to your tool kit. I suggest looking at wireless microphone systems. Lectronics' digital hybrids are probably the best if accurate sound is a priority (www.lectrosonics.com). More inexpensive ones use compandors (compressor/expandors) which may not be as accurate. I would suggest determining your price range, then testing a couple in that range to see which one fits your needs. A great test is to jiggle a set of car keys at the microphone while listening to how they sound at the receiver. They should sound like keys and not like keys being jiggled through a tunnel.

The nice thing about webcams is they are portable; video cameras may
require plugging into an electric socket if you're going to record for
longer periods than the battery allows for.

Every webcam I've seen has had a cable connecting it to a computer system. The cable provides the connection between the camera and the web and also supplies the camera with power (via the USB or Firewire cable). You can get camera batteries for most DV cameras that have a power range from one hour to 10 hours. My video cameras have 10 hour batteries. I've taken them on weekend outings without having to recharge them. I think the quality of the video from a good DV camera with a long-lasting battery is a far better choice than a webcam in nearly every situation.

Just my quarter's worth (adjusted for inflation)

Al

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt