documentation processes and management in your organizations?

Subject: documentation processes and management in your organizations?
From: "peri jstar" <jstar99 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:18:34 -0500

Hello fellow tech writers, editors, collaborators, and web friends :)

Question for any and all of you. At my work I am trying to implement some
sort of loosely structured author/review/edit/approval process ("Loosely"
because I think my work is structured around their own milestones and is
probably very secondary to their own client-based projects which I generally
work around to accomodate).

Basically, I was hired as the sole technical writer for a company. They have
a wiki and Sharepoint sites with all sorts of documentation in every nook
and cranny (in every format too, .doc/.txt/.ppt/.html/etc.). There is no
level of lower management really above me and so in between editing other
miscellaneous docs, I basically go through their documentation sites and
reorganize and restructure the content for print and screen happiness.
However, I think it may fall to me to establish any sort of
creation/review/edit/approval process. My work also includes doc. design. so
I've already wrestled the basic style/numbering/images/etc. issues and
sometimes with this great forum's (meaning all of you of course) help ;) In
addition, the content I've put together in Word is supposed to make it's way
eventually into help files as well.

So currently I am wondering about how your organizations usually go about
it. The process I mean... Any info or websites or general
advice/descriptions from experience and etc. would be greatly welcomed. I am
attempting to try to pitch some ideas to my upper management about this, as
well as probably ask for a separate Sharepoint site, but I'd like to have
some good facts and thoughts put together so that I can be most
straightforward about my ideas. This is my first technical writing job and
so therefore I'm sure there are loads of situations/unintended consequences,
etc. that I have yet to think of!

Your input/feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks so much all!