re: Dangers of spellcheck

Subject: re: Dangers of spellcheck
From: "nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:07:09 -0500

The thing about the asses, doe snot, and buggers
is that they're not only inappropriate in the
particular context they crept into, but likely
to be equally inappropriate in any document your
business issues. They should be in an exception
dictionary-- a list of words that your spellchecker
should flag even though they are legitimate English
words. At my day job, we toyed with the idea of
developing such a dictionary, but we'd rather use
one that already exists-- if there's a readymade
one available. Of course the realm of absurd words
varies from business to business-- in our work,
for example, "costumer" has got to be a typo for
"customer," whereas if you happen to be in the rag
trade, maybe it's not a typo-- but there must be a
large number of words that could go into an exception
dictionary for a very large number of companies
(which could then tweak it if necessary).

Mark L. Levinson - nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il
Mark discourses to fellow Israeli techwriters in
The Why of Style, at http://www.elephant.org.il/

http://mail2web.com/ .