Re: Release notes and DITA

Subject: Re: Release notes and DITA
From: circe -at- lmi -dot- net
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:27:58 -0800

Quoting Andy McAleer <andy -dot- mcaleer -at- eu -dot- citrix -dot- com>:

No. Well, not yet anyway. But that's an interesting question. Like
Sandy, I wonder what experiences others have of producing
"late-breaking" docs (such as readmes and release notes) in a DITA
environment.

If you ask me this time next year, I'll probably have experience at this and be able to provide a better answer for you.

Our DITA architecture and planning work is almost complete. We have a working, if not finalised, production environment. However, we're just still working on our early adopter projects with DITA. None of the projects have made it to the release notes stage.

I'm not sure I understand why this would be an issue though. If you have templates or a topic/output format pre-determined, then the problems shouldn't be any different and the work any harder than creating the readme or release notes in FrameMaker or any other tool.

If anything, I'm finding it easier to work with our DITA environment, because we've done so much work to determine the structure of the topics and deliverables.

Jane