Re: Word TOC loses formatting

Subject: Re: Word TOC loses formatting
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Karen Murri" <kmurri -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:23:30 +0530

On 10/31/06, Karen Murri <kmurri -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:

Are you updating fields or re-inserting?

Everytime you go to insert a table, it goes back to defaults settings --
very annoying and frustrating. As far as I know, there's no work around, but
maybe some of the macro/coding geniuses here have an answer.

Once you set up the TOC and need to update it, right click in it and select
Update Fields (there's a keyboard shortcut that'll do, too - F9 maybe?). As
long as you don't go back to the TOC dialog, it _should_ leave everything as
you set it and just update titles and page numbers.

Yes, this is what I do most of the time - click outside the TOC, hit
the down arrow to move the cursor into the TOC field, press F9 for
"update field" and choose "update entire table". I use the down arrow
since all our TOCs are built with hyperlinks so if I click on an item,
it browses to that item. And I update the entire table because I
normally set up my TOC early on in the process of building a new
document, and then need to update the whole table to get new/modified
headings to show up.

Once I have a working TOC, I practically never delete it and insert a new one.

Where we have an existing template, that template usually contains
definitions for the styles TOC 1 to 4; the mapping of document styles
to levels is pretty much a one-time affair, though.

No guarantees, because Word does sometimes have a strange mind of it's own.

Amen! :-/

BTW, Word has quite a few switches for the TOC field. Nancy, could you
select your TOC, and hit Shift+F9 to switch to field-code view? Then
maybe you could copy that and post it to the list. Press Shift+F9 to
toggle it back to output view after that.

And, finally: AFAIK, when told to build a TOC from outline levels
(like the \o "1-4" switch), Word will map the TOC 1 style to all
headings with an outline level of 1, and so on. If doing so does not
semantically change your document, you might Format Style for Heading
1 to 4, and increase the Outline level by one ( select a paragraph
which is formatted with the Heading 1 style; Format menu > Style >
Modify > Format > Paragraph > Indents and Spacing tab > Outline level
dropdown).

Then, if your TOC field (viewed in field-code mode) has a switch like
\o "1-4", you can change it to "1-5" and update the TOC. This is a
lousy kludge, IMO, since it manually forces outline levels down 1
level for each Heading style - but it establishes a clear hierarchy,
with your Title style at level one, Heading 1 at level two and so on -
which may be what you want.
Of course, this assumes that you don't, and NEVER will use Heading 5
and below styles anywhere in your document - because then all the
Heading 5-formatted text would show up in your TOC too, and you'd have
to lower the Outline level for that style too.

If this is a heinous transgression of some un/written rule about Word,
I'd appreciate if senior writers would chip in and specify why...

Regards,
Ed.