Re: On Getting Per Diem

Subject: Re: On Getting Per Diem
From: linda_sims -at- vanguard -dot- com
To: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 15:21:25 -0500

Ned Bedinger wrote on 11/03/2006 03:13:57 PM:

> Al Geist wrote:
> > Ned Bedinger wrote:

> >> <snip>

> >> I wonder if anyone else besides Richard has run into this? Are you
> >> impeded by a language barrier in your negotiations (or your
> >> day-to-day communications) with tech writing contract agencies?
> >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >>

> > Not to slam those who use English as a second language, but YEP. I've

> > had several recruiters leave barely legible voicemail messages
>
> Yep indeed, and it is frustrating. I have a few VMs saved that I have
> never managed to decode due to fast speaking, thick accents, and the
> usual problems associated with cellular calls made while (apparently)
> walking through a crowded train station. It isn't for trying that I
> can't understand them--I've listened closely, over and over on my best
> audio equipment. I'm loathe to let it go, since this is exactly how I
> would expect to get an offer for some exotic dream job.
>
> BTW, I've ordered a forensic audio pack (the big one that includes a
> genny-wine white lab coat and a certificate suitable for framing). So
> when/if I get any good at de-mystifying such VMs, and if I don't
> discover any offers for dream jobs in my backlog of unintelligble VMs, I

> was thinking I could go into business. Assuming that we who get these
> calls are many, I otter be able to make a tidy sum servicing the market
> for such, eh? I'll announce the address to send your audio files to,
> soon. Wish me luck. :-)
>
> Ned Bedinger
> doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

Dude! Sign me right up for that service! I even bought a (fairly
expensive) digital answering machine in the hopes that the sound quality
would improve enough for me to decipher some of these messages. Sadly, not
only has it not helped the mystery accent recruiters,it has ALSO not
helped the English-as-a-first-language speakers who, apparently, aren't
speaking into their receiver, have a mouthful of marbles, or are speaking
wery, wery softly. I can't tell you how many times I've called a friend
back and told them I needed to know what they wanted because I couldn't
understand their message.

It's frustrating, is what it is. I even went to an ENT to see if maybe it
was a problem with _my_ hearing. Nope, he says. Your hearing is almost
perfect.

*sigh*

Oh, good, it's time to go home. Happy weekend, folks!

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT. The information contained in this e-mail message, including attachments, is the confidential information of, and/or is the property of, Vanguard. The information is intended for use solely by the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not an intended recipient or you received this in error, then any review, printing, copying, or distribution of any such information is prohibited, and please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail from your system.