Re: Laptop specifications

Subject: Re: Laptop specifications
From: "Kevin Amery" <kevindamery -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: jmalin -at- jmalin -dot- com
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 12:25:24 -0500

To add to what Joe said....

On 11/7/06, Joe Malin <jmalin -at- jmalin -dot- com> wrote:

If you are a
computer expert (or know one), don't buy RAM; instead, upgrade
afterwards. RAM is cheap.

I would especially recommend not to upgrade RAM through a computer maker,
whether it's Dell, HP, or whoever. When I've bought Dell laptops in the
past, I've noted that Dell's cost to upgrade RAM was substantially more
expenseive than buying it from a computer store. The only exception is that
some times Dell has a promotion where they double the installed RAM for
free.

State of the art would be dual-core, 512Mb to 1Gb RAM, 60GB or more hard
drive, 1.5 Ghz or more processor, 256Mb graphics "card", CD-RW/DVD
drive, four USB 2.0 ports, Firewire port, built-in Ethernet, and
built-in modem.

I would say 1 GB+ (512MB is a little low if you want to run more than one
application at a time).

I suggest you buy built-in WiFi and Bluetooth, if you can afford it.
WiFi "g" and Bluetooth are now established standards and very useful.

Bluetooth is useful, but it's not very secure. I think someone on the list
provided a link about phone security recently that mentioned it. If you get
Bluetooth, I would leave it disabled until you actively want to exchange
information with someone.

You may also want to consider buying a laptop with both analog and DVI
monitor outputs. They are quite common now. If you have a digital camera
that uses SD cards, look for a laptop that has a SD "port".

Joe

--
Until next time...

Kevin Amery