RE: Too old?

Subject: RE: Too old?
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 09:18:55 -0500

One of the things I like _best_ about being a technical writer is that it
usually doesn't require lots of physical effort*, and a semi-retired
part-time TW could be an absolute godsend to one or more small companies in
a nice retirement area -- and it's work that can be done from almost
anywhere (every winter here in upstate NY reminds me how warm it is in
Belize or Costa Rica between November and April).

In ten years I doubt I will be seeking 50-60 hour work weeks, but 10-20
hours will fit nicely into my plans. By that time I _should_ have enough
"network notoriety" to be able to work where and when I please with
companies and people who already know me, who are known by me, where we
already feel some "fit". Care and nurturing of the retirement employement
network is at least as important as the financial retirement portfolio.

I might have to keep working, so I'd better be prepared. I might not be
able to keep working, so I'm trying to also be prepared for that. I will
plan for every contingency, and then because G has a sense of humor she will
drop a rock on my head. I would rather work part-time as a TW doing work I
love than try to keep the wolf from the door at McDonalds or a call center.

I will always at some offices be too old, too female, too fat, too tall, too
outspoken, yadda yadda. I much prefer to work with more enlightened and
intelligent people, so it's good to weed those idiots out of the mix at an
early stage.

Dori Green

*there was that time when some damfool assembled the laser optical fiber
splice examiner without a bill of materials so the TW got assigned the fun
job of standing on her head in the middle of the plant floor to read the
part numbers and create a BM for the specifications manual. When I am older
and wiser, I will work cheap where they provide apprentices and interns to
take care of such stuff.