Re: Working as a Technical Writer in Madrid?

Subject: Re: Working as a Technical Writer in Madrid?
From: "Sharon Hopkins" <SHopkins -at- eCopy -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:55:20 -0500

This thread is of interest to me as a person of European origin working
in the United States. (I'm a citizen now, but wasn't when I began my
career here - however, I've always been "legal." As a result I've become
familiar with work and immigration regulations on both sides of the
Atlantic.) This may be way too basic, and you may already have taken it
into account, but just to make sure - you do realize that, just like
non-citizens/non-residents who want to work in the US, you need a work
visa to be able to take up legal employment in EEC countries?

The suggestion that you go through an international company and transfer
as an employee of that company to the country you want to work in is a
very practical one - in that case, the company would take care of all of
the paperwork for you. Otherwise, if you apply for a job with a company
based in, say, Madrid, that company could then take on the
responsibility of obtaining your work papers. However, as in this
country, they may have to prove that there is no available local worker
capable of, or available to fill, the advertised position. Many
companies balk at the extra expense and hassle of doing this.
If you just go to Madrid and start looking for work without the
necessary papers, you would be violating your visitor visa status and
would be, in effect, an illegal alien, subject to deportation.

Different European countries have different regulations about foreign
workers, so you should check with their consulates to make sure whatever
you do is legal. Most of them have well organized websites that can
help you.

Another possible way around the issue is the immigration history of your
family. For example, if any of your grandparents immigrated from
Ireland (Eire), you can apply for an Irish passport. Because Ireland is
a member of the EEC, what you actually get is a European passport. This
entitles you, after a few bureaucratic contortions, to work throughout
the EEC. I believe this also works with certain other countries. Bear
in mind that the US, in most cases, does not recognize dual citizenship.

Again, sorry if this is too basic or OT. Hope it helps a little. Good
luck with your search.


WebWorks ePublisher Pro for Word features support for every major Help
format plus PDF, HTML and more. Flexible, precise, and efficient content
delivery. Try it today!

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- infoinfocus -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit

To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Previous by Author: RE: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar
Next by Author: Frame to Word
Previous by Thread: Re: javahelp now open source
Next by Thread: SNAG It 8.1

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads