Re: Question of the Day

Subject: Re: Question of the Day
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:11:17 -0500

Most of these questions have been answered, and quite well at that.

My $.02 is that I read the AskTheHeadhunter.com newsletter (and purchased
his book). This has helped me tremendously in sharpening up my job search
skills, giving me tools to get the job I want (and to be sure I really want
it), and to prevent identity theft. He also provided some pretty good
answers to the "all your past salary" question. I usually just say, I can't
talk about salary without speaking to the hiring manager about the position.
Plus, I need to know about benefits and such, since they are a part of
compensation. If they push, I will give them a range "I usually get..." or I
give them the range from the latest STC Salary Survey for the position. One
time though, the person was so pushy, I finally said (incrediously), "You
mean this company is going to pay me based on what their competitor paid for
my skills, and not based on what they think my skills and experience are
worth to THEM? That's an interesting way to set their employees' salaries."
Silence. On to the next question. LOL

Oh, and he answers e-mails, and has helped me with more than one thorny
employment issue. He's a realy sharp, very nice, guy.

PT

On 11/15/06, James Barrow <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net> wrote:

Having recently interviewed for jobs I've become more interested in what
hiring managers may ask during an interview.

As an aside, this same topic was threaded here about a month ago, but the
specific question was whether or not a hiring manager could ask questions
about a woman's pregnancy.

This time, however, my question is not quite that sensitive.

The following scenarios all involved recruiters, and not the client
company.

1. A recruiter recently asked me if I thought the commute to the client
company was too far for me to drive. I said no, and that my average
commute
has been 90 miles round trip for the past six years. The recruiter
refused
to submit my resume based on the commute. Can they do this?

2. Another recruiter asked me during an interview if I was planning any
travel in the near future. Since I was not, I answered no. It seems to
me
that this is a loaded question. What if I had already booked a trip six
months from the date of the interview? Can a hiring manager refuse a
candidate based on this?

3. (This is the most important) Whenever I actively look for a job, I
invariably talk to a recruiter who goes through my job history in great
detail. This includes asking me what my salary was for every job on my
resume. This one bothers me because it always sounds like the recruiter
is
trying to determine how to get me into the job for the least amount of
money. At other times I simply cannot recall what my salary was 10 years
ago. Am I obligated to answer this question?

What's the most unusual question that you've been asked by a
recruiter/hiring manager?

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular
Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

Di
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!