RE: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar

Subject: RE: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:46:14 -0500

In one of my favorite interviews of all time, I was handed a pen and given
half an hour to write a short instruction for its use. I've used it since
then to effectively discover lots of things about a candidate's writing
style and thought processes:

a. "No can do in 30 minutes, need a planning meeting." No hire. Don't
waste my time coming up with excuses why something can't be done, put that
energy toward figuring out how to do it.

b. Good outline but incomplete after half an hour. Strong contender. They
can be trained in the technical skills needed to build good documents more
quickly from a good foundation. They knew enough to plan first.

c. Something slapped onto the paper but not organized well. No hire. The
world is living with way too much documentation that's been approved because
it's better than a blank sheet of paper.

d. Needs work, but a complete instruction has appeared as if by magic. It
flows, it makes sense even if some logic needs tweaking and the
ILLUSTRATIONS (drawn or "insert figure showing ...") would require rework.
This one is a keeper.

Different employers might have different criteria and preferences, of
course.

I also ask the serious candidates to complete an Emotional Quotient test.
There's are a couple of good ones on the Internet.

Dori Green