Re: Even One More Recruiter Question

Subject: Re: Even One More Recruiter Question
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:51:48 -0500

I'd certainly start to wonder if I really wanted to work in a place that couldn't seem to get its act together. Though with my ego, I'd probably think they absolutely needed me to put things right. :-)
Sometimes employers just can't seem to pull the hiring process together the way they'd like, especially if they are shorthanded due to a vacancy. If you've had other offers, it might be worth telling them that you have other opportunities to consider so you would like to know what their projected timeline is for getting this position filled. I would reiterate my interest in the job while subtly telling them that a good candidate may slip through their fingers if they don't move on it. The internal recruiter may be just as frustrated about it as you are. How badly do you want that job? What seems perfect on paper doesn't always turn out to be perfect in reality, we all know that. Sometimes all you have to do is make the mental decision to forget it completely, and the phone will ring. :-)

James Barrow wrote:

Beth Agnew wrote:

It's entirely correct to establish the working parameters of your
relationship with the recruiter. They should be telling you where they
submit you to and provide feedback if they get any from the prospective
employers.

This question is rather odd for me because I can't seem to express it
without sounding like a six year old on Christmas Eve.

How long would you wait - keep your hopes alive - for feedback regarding a
posted job?

I submitted my resume to a firm's internal recruiter for a job that really
sounded tailor-made for me. This was during the last week of October.

After about a week I sort of gave up and suspected that the company had gone
with another candidate. I sent an email and was told that the job was still
open and that I would receive feedback soon.

A week later I received an unsolicited email promising feedback soon and an
apology for the delay. I put this opportunity on the back burner.

The following week I received a phone call from the recruiter telling me
that the department that needs the tech writer was out of town the previous
week and that I would receive feedback after the recruiter had a meeting
with said department in '15 minutes' (the entire department was out of
town?).

*cricket* *cricket*

As I said, I'm only waiting because the job description was more than
perfect for me, but I have passed on a few offers since first submitting my
resume. I don't want to draw a line in the employment sand, but jeez
Louise, it's been almost a month.

I could have purchased a pigeon, trained the pigeon, and sent a note to the
department manager during this time. What would you do?

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/beth.agnew%40senecac.on.ca