Re: Yet Another Recruiter Question

Subject: Re: Yet Another Recruiter Question
From: "Blackley, Douglas D." <Douglas -dot- Blackley -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 07:20:15 -0500

On Sun, 11/19, James Barrow wrote:

"Here's another question that seems to have popped up more these days
whenever I first discuss a job:

"Have you submitted yourself to any other jobs?....."

Lots of recruiters do this. They want to ensure that they don't try and
submit your resume to a hire point that you've already submitted
to....the primary reason being that that duplication would be a waste of
their time and resources and could irritate the hire point (resenting
the "pile on" effect of multiple resumes from the same candidate)

"Since recruiters make money off of me once I obtain a job through them,
they should work hard to get me an interview, whether or not I'm working
with other recruiters for other jobs, right?"

Right. This recruiter is working hard to get you to tell him/her about
the other jobs you've applied to in the hopes that one or two may be a
part of his recruiting roster, as well....and your hard work and
initiative will result in his getting the hire fee (should you choose to
work with this recruiter, he/she is then representing you - see the
contract you'll sign - and can legally claim the finder/hire fee should
the company hire you.)

Doug Blackley
Technical Writer
Douglas -dot- Blackley -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com
Sprint Joint Venture
Bright House Networks