Laptops: travel insurance? Summary.

Subject: Laptops: travel insurance? Summary.
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 15:33:09 -0500

Earlier today, I asked for suggestions on how to insure our laptop computer(s) when we travel in India, with the caveat that our home policy _does_ cover the computer(s) while we travel, but possibly not in India (we might have to challenge our insurer on this point) and definitely not against damage. I received the following suggestions:

- Safeware provides coverage for roughly $85/yr for two laptops ($3000), but only within the US and Canada. The premium is much higher (roughly 3x) for travel elsewhere in the world--too high to be worthwhile. At that price, it's worthwhile picking up a cheap used laptop instead.

- State Farm offers a "personal articles" policy that costs ca. C$54/ year, including outside North America, but unfortunately, I'm in Quebec and they don't sell policies in Quebec. (Probably because they can't be bothered translating their documentation into French... and lost my business as a result. Let that be a lesson to localizers everywhere! <g>)

- Westfield Insurance offers similar coverage (<$100/year).

- We'll also check with our local insurance broker and travel agent. They often know of relevant offerings that a single company might not be aware of.

Thanks to Kevin Amery, Barry Campbell, Gene Kim-Eng, Barb Philbrick, and Karen Zorn. If I missed your name, it means I didn't see your message; please send it again (to me or to techwr-l). Other comments welcome!

www.geoff-hart.com