RE: capitalization of 'web'

Subject: RE: capitalization of 'web'
From: "Karen Murri" <kmurri -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:55:38 -0600

Sorry - I just don't get how internet and web are proper names, at least
used as I usually see them used. Names of what separable entity? Forgive my
(probable) ignorance, but they aren't corporate entities, are they? They
don't refer to some particular person or organization, do they? Maybe they
do, and I just don't know it.

I'm willing to be educated; I just can't see that either term qualifies as a
proper name in most contexts in which I see them. (FWIW _ Here's where I get
my definition of proper noun:
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/capitals.htm)

-Karen

__________________________

Feelings have nothing to do with it. Is there really an argument over
whether in English we capitalize *names*? I don't think so. Everyone who
speaks or writes English knows that names are capitalized.

Names get capitalized. That's all there is to it; there is no other
argument. You don't lowercase a name, and Internet and Web are names. One is
the official name, and the other is the nickname. And we don't lowercase
nicknames, either.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com

4:00 AM