RE: Temp/permanent annotations?

Subject: RE: Temp/permanent annotations?
From: Mary Arrotti <mary_arrotti -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 11:08:31 -0800 (PST)

I prefer to handle this type of thing in a low-tech way. Once a software release is out the door, I create a new manilla folder for the next release. When I get those "aha" moments or emails that may impact current docs - I print out the relevant info, highlight as needed, and make notes.

For example, someone asks about a specific feature & I realize there's value in expanding or changing my info - I make a note of this. I look at an older Help system with fresh eyes & realize that the doc structure that worked with the earliest versions doesn't work as well now there's a ton of features. So, I make some notes on restructuring and reorganizing content.

As I get closer to the actual release, I'll add info about release-related content changes & new functionality. I then look over everything I've captured (my notes, design & requirement specs, etc.), prioritize the work, and create a project plan.

Editorial or style issues like Geoff mentions, I handle differently. Once a release is complete, I make a copy of the current docs. As I catch things that can be fixed quickly or by an easy global update, I update them immediately. Things that would take more time or thought, I track in my folder.

This method works for me since - because of my workload - I can't always make all the changes I'd like to. I think if I handled this electronically, I might lose my deferred changes or - even worse - possibly publish them.

I support several different products & my workload can be ridiculously heavy at times. As our products & my output gain features & functionality, it's nice to keep how I work as simple as possible.

As always, YMMV

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $510,000 Mortgage for $1,698/mo - Calculate new house payment