Re: I don't know a rinky dink application so I'm not a good fit

Subject: Re: I don't know a rinky dink application so I'm not a good fit
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:45:48 -0500

Unless you are being hired as project manager, knowing MS Project is peripheral to technical writing. The implication is that you don't know how to manage a documentation project. Of course, that's silly. It wouldn't take long to grasp the basic principles of any project management software enough that you could track your own work in it. MS Project can be quite a deep tool but most of us only ever need that crucial 20%. I think the recruiter was off base. Mind you, if the employer wanted their techwriter to know MS Project really well, there's a possibility that you would be managing other aspects of the project as well, and that should command a higher salary than what a techwriter usually gets. It's probably just as well you didn't get that "opportunity".

Always good, however, to put in one's cover letter that as a technical writer you are adept at getting up to speed on new applications very quickly.
--Beth

Dan Goldstein wrote:

In some cases, you can learn an app between the first contact and the
formal interview. I have only light knowledge of MS Project, so I can't
really say how deep it goes.