RE: Extensions and dots in filenames

Subject: RE: Extensions and dots in filenames
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 09:19:00 -0500

Ah yes, those fond memories of fulfilling the lab requirements for the Comp
Sci minor at 2 AM because the only way to do the lab was to type our own
programs on punched cards -- and lab access during the day was restricted to
Comp Sci majors only.

I also remember that awful sense of betrayal when hubby and I finally
scraped up enough cash to buy a computer of our very own -- and it turned
out that we had to become programmers in order to do anything with it unless
we also bought application programs that cost more than the computer. Wait
a minute -- that's still pretty much the case today, isn't it? (Forgive
me -- I just looked into upgrading from Win 98 SE with Word 97 and
discovered it's cheaper to buy a new laptop.) <G>

I still make beaded necklaces with secret messages and quotes spelled out in
ASCII code. Once in a while somebody recognizes the pattern. They're
usually my age and they're usually also Ham Radio operators. Phone Phreaks
love the jewelry, too.

Did anybody else here ever use NROFF code for formatting? I once worked at
a company where I was able to finally convince them to stop trying to teach
all 50 engineers NROFF, let them write in text and send their files to me.
It was SO much easier than trying to undo their goofs. I use the same
argument these days when I request input in Plain Old Word or text: "Use
whatever you like to make it look how you want it to look. Leave the <Word
Styles>/<Framemaker> details to me." I guess that officially makes me a
"font fondler", oh well.

In most cases out here in the country, the person coming after me to update
the documents is going to be a Temporary with unknown facility in
application packages. They're more likely to mark up the hard copies and
hire a typist than to go looking for a tech writer (or paying for one). She
might not know how to handle numbered lists, almost certainly will not know
anything about Styles or automated tables of contents.

Of course it would be "correct" to use all of the capabilities of the
program -- but sometimes there are good reasons to keep the documentation
simple and sweet (KISS principle). It's always important to base these
decisions -- always -- on the needs of the customer.

Dori Green
Technical Writer, QMS Project
Associated Brands, Inc.
Medina, NY Facility