RE: Measuring TW Performance

Subject: RE: Measuring TW Performance
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:24:38 -0500

Dick Margulis wrote:

"I created it for less than you would have paid to outsource it" stands
a better chance.

***************************

True, but we're talking about measuring a TW's performance, not comparing
that performance against another's.

I guess we have to specifically define how we are measuring performance. It
might indeed make sense to define exactly what it is we want to do with our
documentation, find out how much it would cost us to outsource it and how
much to get it done with internal personnel, and then make a hiring
decision.

We've been talking here about measuring performance of writers who are
already on-site and plugging away, and finding ways to measure performance
in language that makes sense to the people who want the information.

Comparing hourly rates can be as simple as getting a basic rate chart from a
big contract agency and using that to justify my salary (probably about half
of the published rate for a seasoned writer). This is assuming that a
contract writer would have taken the same amount of time to create the
deliverable.

I still say the best way to measure performance is to sit down with my
manager, agree upon objectives, and measure how well those objectives were
met (or revised in a rational and balanced way).

Dori Green
Technical Writer, QMS Project
Associated Brands, Inc.
Medina, NY Facility