Re: Non-English tech writer

Subject: Re: Non-English tech writer
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 06:58:01 +1100

Larry wrote:

I am the Co-CEO of a small tech write company in Israel. English is not the
first language for a significant number of our staff writers. The successful
ones have been able, over time, to bring their language skills to a high
enough level so as require only standard editing. This requires that editing
for their work be performed with a long view and didactically.

The situation is very different in Israel than it
is in India (the case that started this discussion).
When I worked as a tech editor in Israel, the problem
was more that many of the writers weren't really very
fluent in English, not that the English they did
learn or speak did not match "standard" English in
some ways. Plus, the writers usually did not share
a common language background, having often come from
different countries. When they did start to learn
more English, they began to use it in a more standard
way.

For example, someone earlier mentioned that even
English newspapers in India often tend to include
some distinctive "Indian English" phrasing, whereas
the Jerusalem Post is written in completely standard
English. I suspect that this difference might have
something to do with the vast numbers of expatriate
native English speakers in Israel due to the nature
of immigration there.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address