RE: MS Word - changing old docs to new styles

Subject: RE: MS Word - changing old docs to new styles
From: "Chinell, David F \(GE Indust, Security\)" <David -dot- Chinell -at- GE -dot- com>
To: <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:58:49 -0500

Neilson:

I'm feeling a bit archaic lately, as our corporate standard is back at Word 2000. I'm really looking forward to exploring XML when we get caught up to you.

However, you didn't mention VBA and that's one of the truly fabulous aspects of Word. VBA makes Word almost totally extensible. Using VBA you could easily process each document when it's opened and replace any old styles with the new ones -- essentially an automated find and replace for styles you specify.

You could do it in batch, a whole folder at a time, if you wanted.

Even simpler and faster, check out Jack Lyon's MegaReplacer tool at http://www.editorium.com/14843.htm. It lets you create a Word table of the "from" and "to" styles you want to replace. Works on text too.

It's a handy tool if you don't want to dabble in VBA.

Bear