RE: OT? Vintage manuals

Subject: RE: OT? Vintage manuals
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:01:40 -0500

Melissa Nelson wrote:

It is really fun...unfortunately, they ain't cheap!

********************

Started my career at a small high-power radio manufacturer, an upstart
branch-off from Harris Communications. Sales ignored Publications (and
Engineering; they kept selling stuff without consulting Engineering to see
if we could actually _do_ that -- but I digress...), Engineering and
Drafting hated Publications for all of the standard reasons.

Publications had a little teeny sign that I created and posted in the middle
of our area so we could all see it:

"With every $50,000 operations manual that you buy, we will throw in one (1)
free 150 kW radio.

Just try to run the radio without the manual."

Back in the Day when tech writing was mostly technical....

Still have a couple of those manuals, produced on George and Irving the
typewriters with two different fonts. And those
manuals are still important pieces of my portfolio!

Dori Green
Technical Writer, QMS Project
Associated Brands, Inc.
Medina, NY Facility