Re: Buzzword alert?: Dashboard reports

Subject: Re: Buzzword alert?: Dashboard reports
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Susan Hogarth <hogarth -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 17:27:19 -0500

Susan Hogarth wrote:

I was just introduced to the term 'dashboard report' today. When I
look it up in Google, I get lots of software-selling type sites, but
no really good general idea of what the term encompasses. They seem to
be just spiffed-up multiple-comparison graphic data summaries.

Am I missing something?

No.

is there a good general discussion of the idea
somewhere?

You've already understood it completely. It's a buzzword for an executive summary consisting of key indicators, viewed as charts or graphs of some sort, that a busy manager can check at a glance every day or every week or every month (depending on the dynamics of the particular business). The metaphor is the collection of gauges on a car or plane dashboard (closer to plane than car, given the number of items these things usually include). The selection of what particular indicators are shown varies from business to business and, in some software products, can be customized by each individual user. That is, when I log into my home page every morning, what are the important metrics _to me_ that will affect the decisions I make today?

If the metrics can be simplified to safe/caution/danger numeric ranges, then they may all be rendered like fuel gauges. But in more complex management situations, it is typical that a dashboard might include some bar charts, some stoplight indicators, a sales curve, a Gantt chart, etc.--a mishmash of different kinds of graphics, in other words.