Offer Letter

Subject: Offer Letter
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 16:04:26 -0800

I obtained my current job after a lengthy interview process that culminated
in an offer letter (government work). This is only the second time that a
position was offered to me in this manner.

The only part of the offer that was contingent upon anything was the pay,
and this was based on years of experience:

TW1 = 1-3 yrs = $
TW2 = 3-5 yrs = $$

When I received the offer letter it was right in line with my expectations
and requirements, so I accepted.

I spoke with a colleague over the holidays and when I mentioned the offer
letter, he immediately asked if I negotiated the compensation. I didn't
consider this because a) this is a full time government job b) the pay was
up there in the TW4 range c) my inexperience with offer letters.

I'm currently researching this online, but I'm looking for answers to the
following questions:

1. What's the protocol when accepting an offer letter? (I signed mine and
returned it in person since I was in the area).

2. Do you just sign it and return it? Should a thank you letter be
included?

3. What if you wish to negotiate? Do you draft a counter-offer?

4. What if you wish to negotiate, but the deadline to accept is more than
likely shorter than it would take the counter-offer to be approved/rejected?

- Jim