Re: Single-sourcing tool

Subject: Re: Single-sourcing tool
From: "Paul Nagai" <naglists -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:31:48 -0800

On 1/5/07, elizabeth j allen <eja -at- samurai -dot- com> wrote:

\ifthenelse(A + (\not B + \not C))(true_statement)(false_statement)
is what we use in LaTeX to help sort out the conditions

For example, Chip A is exactly the same as chip B, except that chip B has
certain functions removed. Chip C is also based on Chip A, but has some
things removed and others added. There are also chips D, E, and F in the
pipeline, all based on chip A, but their functionality has not yet been
completely defined and tends to change from time to time. *But* because
these chips are all based on A, the A condition = true for all of them.

That's because we also have chip families I, II, III; and a, b, c; and i,
ii, iii. And they all have documentation, much of which is common to all
the families.

Different customers get different chips, thus different capabilities,
along with different price points. You can see why we can't let info slip
through the cracks.

I think Arbortext Editor (formerly Arbortext's Epic Editor), an XML editor,
should be able to handle your conditionals "out of the box." Through
"profiling" you can tag XML elements identifying them as true for a specific
condition. Then when composing output, you choose the conditions you want to
express. They have a white paper (I haven't read) here:

http://www.arbortext.com/profiling_wp/index.html

If Editor won't do it out of the box, it could certainly do so with
customizations. Editor is quite customizable through a flexible and an API
that exposes a significant portion of its functionality.

Additionally, although you don't mention it as a requirement, Editor
integrates with several Enterprise content management systems including one
provided by Arbortext's parent company, PTC (ptc.com) called Windchill.

For what it's worth, we use many Arbortext products, have integrated Editor
with Documentum's content management system and we've re-used
(single-sourced) content, and have profiled (set conditions) within that
re-used content.

--
Paul Nagai